Collegiate Challenge is Habitat for Humanity's year-round alternative break program that provides opportunities for students from youth groups, high schools and colleges to spend a week building a house in partnership with a Habitat for Humanity affiliate in the United States.
Our affiliate hosts Collegiate Challenge groups year-round. We are currently focusing on a city known as Lacoochee, a thriving mill town in rural northeast Pasco County, not far from Dade City. The town needs so much—it's hard to tell where to begin. There are few paved roads, no street lights, and no sewer system. The business district fizzled out long ago. We have two volunteer houses available for Collegiate Challenge groups to use. Each house is equipped with a full kitchen and dining area, three bedrooms, two full bathrooms, and beds for about 20-25 volunteer.
How to Get Involved
- Click here to visit the Collegiate Challenge website to learn more about the program.
- Reserve your spot and complete the registration process with Habitat for Humanity International. Your work dates will fall within one construction week. Your group is welcome to volunteer for more than one week!
- Once you are confirmed by Habitat for Humanity International, Habitat for Humanity of East & Central Pasco County will contact you with details about volunteering with us.
- Your group will need to organize your own transportation to and from the airport and to and from the work site.
- We start work on our construction sites at 8 a.m and finish at 3 p.m. After your work day, your group is free to explore the area or work with other organizations. Please remember to get a full night’s rest so that you have a safe and rewarding construction experience the next day.
- Return home and tell your fellow students, friends and family about your experience! If you would like to return to volunteer with us again, please visit our volunteer page.
If you would like to learn more about Habitat for Humanity of East & Central Pasco County's Collegiate Challenge program, please email email@example.com or call the Habitat office at 352-567-1444 ext 1305.